Hawaiian Girl

Monday, October 16, 2006

EaRtHqUaKe!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I'm sure the news has come & gone that Hawaii had a 6.6 earthquake!!! YES HAWAII!!!
I'm from California...Home of Malibu, Rodeo Drive, and Earthquakes!!! I'm USED to them...or so I thought!

I had gotten out of bed early, Alika was watching T.v. and not too far along was Tiki girl coming out of the bed, hair messed up, rubbing her eyes...to lay on my tummy. It was raining. cozy..I jumped up and said " I'll make a BIG breakfast..." My dad used to make the BEST breakfast potatoes in the whooooole world...I thought I'd try his potatoes. Mushroom omelet ( alika makes the omelets) toast. Alika went to Mcdonalds to get coffee. we ALL ate...Tiki opened the front door & said "ITs raining HARD!" Reading the paper..coffee in hand, husband watching football...BOOM! It started ROCKING....Tiki came BOLTING out of the other room with eyes WIDE OPEN...Alika in the doorway, looking outside...I hold Tiki scared!!! Alika has NEVER been through a earthquake....now a HUGE JOLT GOES OFF!! I had just watched a show about N. Korea & the missile's...I THOUGHT THAT'S WHAT IT WAS....We just got bombed!!! Alika kept saying..."no it's the BUS..." ( sometimes the bus comes down the street and it really does vibrate) . Then I saw it....FEAR. My husband had FEAR in his eyes I've never seen before ( after all, this was very new to him ) then I panicked. we grabbed clothes ( after calming down did I realize I grabbed about 3 pajama sets for Tiki & NOTHING FOR ALIKA OR MYSELF!!)
We got in the car & took off towards high ground...a Tsunami could be next. Our neighbor was like " hey brah, you felt that??" Alika, very pale at this point is like "Brah! get out, were goin to the mountains" we fled so fast our tires smoked....we probably flung some wetness on his face as we left!!
Now were approaching higher ground...but the rain is soo bad, the flood water is coming DOWN, I feel we JUST PUT OURSELVES IN GRAVE DANGER...we parked...no radio working, no IDEA if a tidal wave hit...was it a bomb? that was scary, not KNOWING ANY INFORMATION. We waited about a hour, went home. same neighbor was outside wiping down his MOPED! by this time were alot calmer & laughing at our "FREAK OUT SESSION". We pull up..Alika says " Our neighbor is probably thinking here comes the wig outs and THEN WE DONT EVEN OFFER TO TAKE HIM OR HELP HIM...he's like 'HEY! I only got a MOPED'.
Well, kids have fire drills in school....this was DEFINITELY a DRILL...we realized we ARE NOT prepared for an emergency like we always thought we were!!! Tonight, were off to wal-mart to make a kit...like everyone else is!!!

9 Comments:

At 6:40 PM, Blogger Dianne said...

I'm so glad you are okay. Do Teri and her family live near you? I felt better when they said no one was killed. Just a really big scare.

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Beverly said...

oh dear Dina..bless your hearts! Oh my goodness..sometimes things do sneak up on you unaware and your left with nothing left to do but to get prepared for the next..so crazy...our love and prayers are with you...

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Vonnie said...

I grew up in CA and have been through a few earthquakes, but not that bad. When I taught in CA we had disaster/earthquake drills,usually twice a year. Fire drills were required every month. I am glad you are safe.

 
At 6:20 AM, Blogger Candy said...

I would have been scared out of my wits too. I'm just glad you're all okay. How's Tiki handling it all? Nothing is scarier than when the big people are scared. Good idea to get a kit together and move on.

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Reverend Shawn said...

Glad to hear you're okay ... I said a prayer for you and all on the Islands ... went through a small earthquake a couple of years back on Vancouver Island - no damage, just a lot of shaking ... it was scary enough ...

be well ... thanks for the updates ...

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Scott said...

Holy MOLEY -

I did worry about you folks in Waikiki - a tsunami mixed with flash-flooding would be a dangerous combo.

Next time, head up to our church building - it's a safe place for any flood, hurricane, or tsunami. 1732 Keeaumoku. And my brah Iona will cook some good grinz.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Dina said...

D-Teri lives on other side of island...she was alone, but scared.

Bev-thanks! I will be prepared next time!

V-what part of Cali? I guess Hawaii is going to have to start earthquake drills in school..hah! who would of guessed :)

candy-were fine! It sure made the whole Indonesia quake & all THEY went through....well lets just say
I felt bad for them THEN...I could only imagine those poor people suffered PLENTY!!

Rev-Thank you soo much for the prayers!! it is a erie feeling when the earth moves!

Scott- Thanks for the Aloha! I will keep that in mind!! All I have to do is MENTION GRINDZ to Alika, and he'll BE THERE!! haha

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Cole said...

Yeah, next time, go to Scott's house. He'll grill up four weeks' worth of frozen food as it thaws out! Ha! And Daisy will protect you against anything. Especially stuffed monkeys.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Vonnie said...

Dina,
I grew up in Los Angeles, south-central to be exact. Tom and I spent most of our married years in Garden Grove - by Disneyland.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home