Hawaiian Girl

Friday, February 23, 2007

FREAKY FRIDAY

Today was a challenge. sort of busy in the Health Room. then I got....."Dina , go to Gordon, he's having a heart attack"!! He is the Custodian at the school. Now , ANYTIME SOMEONE YELLS HEART ATTACK...It creates nerves, confidence questioned...(am I gonna help?). I shouted back "CALL 911!!". I ran outside. he was about 50 yards away from me sitting on the ground against the wall. As I got closer I could see his left arm was hanging in a way that was "different".
I have never witnessed a heart attack or a stroke, let alone on someone I know. but it seemed ( with little knowledge I have) he was having a stroke. As I began to talk to him, I said "Hi Gordon. your going to be fine. ( I really didn't know that) can you smile for me?"

He looked at me like WHO'S THE PATIENT HERE???!!! TAKE HER AWAY.

I said again" I know that sounds funny right now, but can you smile for me?" he did. only half his face smiled. He knew. I knew.
He asked me "Am I having a stroke ? (very slurred)"
Me " Well the good news is....(as we could hear faint sirens coming)....the ambulance is very close, and IF you are, your very alert which is good...".
Trying to remain calm in situations is HARD. I don't care what kind of training you've had. Were all humans, same fears, during these times....and his eyes were "scared". I just kept thinking ,say POSITIVE, HOPEFUL THINGS!!!!
Paramedics got there & took him away. I DO FEEL HE'S going to be okay....but the minute your back in "safe" zone again, that's when it hits you. My legs got shakey, I was worried for him...did I do all I can do???
When he told me he was 52, it really wakes you up!! IT CAN HAPPEN WHILE YOUR YOUNG.
About 5 people made doctors appointments for "things" they've been putting off....I'll be # 6.

5 Comments:

At 9:32 PM, Blogger Beverly said...

yikes..i haven't been to the doctor for too long..time to go!

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger Kathy said...

God has put you in the right place. You did what you needed to do and would have done more if needed. Keep up the good work!

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Vonnie said...

I'm sure glad this was a wake-up call for several people. Tom and I are regular doctor visitors.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Dianne said...

God works in many ways. He uses us to send messages (wake-up calls). Glad there were people listening. Take care and keep listening!

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger Candy said...

wow...me too, bev. ikes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home