Hawaiian Girl

Sunday, December 03, 2006

I THINK I CAN...I THINK I CAN.....


We did it !!!! Tami & I signed up for a 5k run. Now to alot of you guys, sounds easy...I DON'T JOG/RUN. or at least I haven't had ANY training. IT WAS TORTURE!!!! My mind is 23, but the body isn't having any part of that!!!
Tami was to pick me up @ 6am. I woke at 4:30am ( to BEGIN ANY TRAINING I WAS GOING TO DO....STRETCH). I realize...I don't even know HOW to stretch properly. It was quite pathetic, and funny at the same time. Tami picked me up and all we could do is LAUGH....that we were even ATTEMPTING THIS!!! This race was a PRE RACE for the runners who are doing the Honolulu marathon next weekend. Kinda gives you an idea WHAT KIND OF PEOPLE were there......REAL RUNNERS. The horn blows, and OFF WE GO, as though we have trained just as hard and for many years as those who were BLOWING RIGHT PAST US...we kept up....for about 100 yards. Last place was suddenly 2 people behind me. My face is burning, oh yeah, was I suppose to be drinking water alot lately?? It suddenly dawned on me....I don't think I'm hydrated well enough for this. Tami was being a dear friend and looking BACK to see if I was ok, sometimes giving up her jog to "walk" with me. I tell her please continue...I'll be ok, but I don't want the pressure of holding her back!!!
I see my husband & Tiki in the middle of the race to cheer me on & give me water ( he KNOWS it would be hard for me..) I tried to pick it up a notch, just for my supporters...I couldn't run anymore. I walked real fast and the last tail end I took a slooooooww jog. Tiki on top of Dad's shoulders smiling " gooooo Mommy". Tami had crossed the finish line already but wanted to cross "with me". Its over. I did it. I felt good , once the chest pains and the breathing got back to normal. Now, my muscles are slowly stiffening. It made me realize that I need to keep my BODY feeling 23 so it will match my mentality. I couldn't of done it without Tami...a true friend, a terrific runner and our humor "matches". we had alot of laughs today. Tomorrow will not be sooo funny.

4 Comments:

At 5:50 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

Oh poor Dina, I FEEL for you!!! Every time I do something I haven't in a long time I wonder why I haven't been doing it all along! Pushing yourself (a little) feels good mentally and physically. Maybe you'll get a good massage out of this!!! It sounds like you had fun and got to spend some time with your good friend. Let's here how the race goes next week!

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Scott said...

Good on ya. I could run a five STEP race, and maybe finish (I am NOT a runner). Congrats!!!

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Candy said...

What were you thinking??? I'm not a runner either. I could maybe walk that far - maybe not - but laughing I can do. I'm so glad you finished - that's quite an accomplishment. Good on ya girl!

 
At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dina lina, Thanks for the inspiration and great laughs!!
That'll be something to laugh at 20 years from now when we're 50 !!! Hee, Hee, Hee Love ya ! T

 

Post a Comment

<< Home