Hawaiian Girl

Friday, November 03, 2006

BEING WHAT YOUR NOT......

That's what today was allllllll about!!! Everyday, my boss calls @ 6:45am, to give me my destination for the day ( which school I'll be subbing at ). Let's back up...to 5:30am. Alika & I making our lunches for the day.

Alika: "Where are you today?"

Me: " won't know till an hour or so..I'll probably get Farrington"

Throughout training , I've been warned..."YOU DON'T WANT FARRINGTON"

Alika ( trying to be supportive ): "Nah, you won't get them"

Boss: "Goooood Morning Dina!! ( sounded good soooo far ), today you will be at FARRINGTON!"

My voice trembles...I'M SCARED!! " Ohhhh, I've heard soo much about them". Hoping for some sort of POSITIVE "SOMETHING"!

Boss: " Yeah, I know, it's a rough school.....".

k, now I'm trembling & weeping...

Me: o..k...kk...kk... ( I start stuttering )

I hang up full of fear...To make a short story loooong. I survived, but I had ALL KINDS of Attitude, excuses, I became this white chick, in a VERY ROUGH, TOUGH environment only to find out that if you look beyond the ethnic, stereotypes.....that they were JUST LIKE ME in alot of ways....acting tougher than we really are, all out of FEAR. When we talked , their hearts became softer.

On the way to drop Tiki off I said " Tiki, can you Pray with me?" Always happy to for me she says "gimme your hand". As I drive, with one hand on the wheel, one reached back to Tiki's car seat, I say a quick prayer to watch over my day, and Tiki's. AMEN!! Tiki says "THANKS MOM..." If she only knew......she was helping ME!

7 Comments:

At 7:48 PM, Blogger Dianne said...

Amen!! Your Aunt Marcia taught preschool. One day a new child came to her class. He had been expelled from another preschool. He asked her what she did to bad kids. She said,"see that door". He answered "yes". "Well, no bad kid come through that door" She told him. She never had any problems with him. I think children act as they think is expected. Don't be afraid, you will do fine.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Beverly said...

oh my word..my kids praying just blessed me and blessed me. I was out with my Mom and my 20 year old daughter tonight for supper. Whitney said, "Hey guys lets pray." She said the most awesome prayer and I just got chill bumps and it took me back to her prayers as a child when she would always include God by ending with."..and thank you God for you."

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Scott said...

Awwwww

You know what...you should have asked Alika to take you to Chilis after a day like that. ;-)

It was great fun running into you guys like that. Now you know that I am, in reality, just a wee bit shy (RIGHT Beverly???). In fact, it took all my nerve to ask, "Are you Dina." If I didn't think so much of you, I'd have never risked it.

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Dina said...

Scott....you didnt seem shy..( you have no chance around me I'll talk your ear off!)

funny comment..

I only am sorry that it was under such circumstances..Tiki has been NAUGHTY...I have been singing the famous x-mas song "Santa Clause is coming to town" because I want her to KNOW THIS behaivor is horrible!! Beverly help!!
now I know what you look like...you can run but ya cannot hide!!! just joking.....

 
At 5:55 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

dina..this story is bizarre..you and Scott running into each other. How funny! Scott shy?..can't imagine that!

Time for sticker chart for Tiki..let her put the stickers up..start with end of the day incentives then progress to end of the week..Santa Claus song never works..they eventually find out that Santa thinks they are the coolest thing since sliced bread and will bring them presents anyway...love ya girl!

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Dina said...

Bev- Yep I ran into Scott while we were going to Chili's. He RECONIZED US...how funny is that??!!! I gave him a big hug, I feel like I know all you guys & just havent "seen" you guys. Thanks for the sticker incentive...I'm GOING TOMORROW!! she needs a little change somewhere!
thanks sooooo much!!! XXOOXOO

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Candy said...

ok, Dina, this was a great post. I felt like I was in the car with you and Tiki. It was a very nice place to be. And I love how you saw that those kids were living in fear, too. God used you that day in a mighty way. I just know it.

About the sticker chart - we did that with Max. It works if you are consistent, but then consistency is the key to most things. I am not very good at it either. And rewards are a great way to encourage good behavior.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home