Hawaiian Girl

Sunday, May 06, 2007

ALOHA TO DON HO.....TINY BUBBLES TO YOU!!!!

With about 20+ canoes , and thousands of people lined all around Waikiki beach, we bid our farewell to the man who was such a BIG part of Hawaii. I personally never met him ( have seen him at other funerals) but he was a well liked man. Some people were blowing bubbles during the service...the media was covering the whole thing...and to me the most touching part was when they released his ashes, a F14 air fighter flew over the ocean and tipped his wing (turned sideways) and flew straight UP!!!! Don had spent time in the Air Force. It was extremely low and the sound, was INCREDIBLE!!! I pretty much cried at that point. what an honor.
All the family members dressed in White holding his ashes and deciding which canoe they will be in.
This is my friend Kevyn's boat "Manu Kai". Don Ho had 10 kids....19 grand kids....etc. Kevyn was to take the rest of the family. At the bottom of the mast there are two large speakers that was playing Don Ho's music. That too got me choked up and I didn't even know him.
Aloha Don...

4 Comments:

At 4:10 AM, Blogger Dianne said...

Many years ago, when Don Ho was on TV we enjoyed watching him. That was a nice send off.

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

His name IS the first name that comes to mind when I think of Hawaii. Thanks for sharing a part of history with us.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

man...i bet that would be an emotional setting..I mean everybody has heard of Don Ho.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger badneck said...

I used to crew on the manu kai back in the 80's! I still think of kev when I think of the time I spent in hawaii. He dosent seem like the kinda guy who would use a computer do you know how I can get in touch with him?? My name is Billy Epp and I worked with him and Herb Nahinu.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home