Hawaiian Girl

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

MAY DAY IS LEI DAY !!!!


The first Lei Day was May 1st, 1928. Everyone was encouraged to wear a lei. Festivities were held downtown with Hula dancers, music, lei making demonstrations & exhibits. Today it holds strong, and most of the Elementary schools put on a "May Day is Lei Day" show, crowning Lei Day Kings, Queens & princess's. It's such a huge festivity! I love how the lei signifies something. On a regular day if someone comes in your office wearing a lei ( that was given to them by a loved one) you automatically know....IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY?!!! or retirement, Mother's day....we don't send bouquets of flowers...we find the PERFECT LEI!!!!

3 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, Blogger Kathy said...

That is SO COOL! I have always loved flowers but I hate to spend money on something you only get to enjoy at home. Now a lei, that is smart thinking. You get the flowers, wear them around AND enjoy them at home!

 
At 4:31 AM, Blogger Candy said...

Great idea! I love leis. I've been to Hawaii once and I still have the lei I got at the airport. It's dried and hanging on my bulletin board upstairs. Obviously I had a great time.

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Beverly said...

that is the most beautiful flower I have ever seen!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home